Me !

I am not the same today as I was yesterday, neither am I, what I will be tomorrow. I am being moulded in the Potter's hands. He's still working on me to make me all I ought to be !

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Words that Hurt ?


At the outset, let me acknowledge that there may be,the possibility that Harsh words 'never' Hurt you. If you are thus special, please skip this post and read another one :-) Let me be honest with you, I am an extremely poor recipient of verbal assault. I just cannot take hurtful words in my stride. For that matter, when I am exposed to injustice of any kind, I have to search whether I have at least one 'peacemaker' bone in me. And of course, the tongue gets skipped in that search ! Injustice is inversely proportional to the boiling point of my blood. The report of injustice may have no relevance to me, yet I struggle to stomach it.
 I have listed a couple of standard responses when I am barraged with hot or cold verbal litter.
  1. I turn into a iceberg, confusingly cool on the outside but unbelievably unsettled underneath the surface. If the words are cold and harsh, there is every possibility of a Titanic collision unless there is change of course. If served on a hot platter, it can trigger a pressure cooker response.
  2. I forget the proverbial 'Bell and Brake' and let loose a tirade of my own choicest 'lawyer' vocabulary. Lawyer vocabulary basically comprises of sarcastic insensibility's. 
  3. Volcanic eruption ! I am sure this needs no explanation.The target does not usually survive to tell the tale! :-) That was too graphic an exaggeration. Basically, the survivors wont know what hit them. A vial of venom may spill as well.
There are another two response that are evolving ever since I agreed to be refined by the Refiner's Fire.
  1. Zipped lip - rhymes doesn't it ? zip-lip (that's what happens when you have a 5 yr old !). In this particular response, a divine providence restrains the tongue and causes it to remain inside the mouth. During this phase, it is possible that the brain is spewing out exquisite arguments, yet there is a temporary 'Speechlessness'. I say divine providence because that's what it is - an answer to prayer from some prior period of deep Communion with God. It is also highly probable that 'Somebody's praying for me'.
  2. Sweet words - this is still a rare and very precious response to me. I find some foreign words on my tongue like 'I forgive you', 'Its alright' etc.. I am usually convinced then, that somebody else is using my mouth to speak - At the end of it, I feel drained.. as though from extreme exhaustion. Yet, an indescribable peace overtakes me assuring me that God will take care of everything. And believe me, God does !
How do you respond when something or someone blows your head away ? Do you pretend like you are not hurt and avoid the situation ? Maybe you bottle it up ? Believe me, A pressure cooker that is cooking for years together is not a pleasant place to be. The key is to 'Let Go' and 'Let God'. God can calm any storm ! God can reverse any situation. Allow him to work his way in your response !

2 comments:

  1. Hey Leena... nice post... the first 3 responses are pretty much me too... mostly 2 and 3 :P I've tried the zipped lip to elders in church though I didn't like it one bit.... Besides, why do i have to prove myself to people who say and think mean things ? but i hated the zipped lip approach... the lawyer is preferred approach when people push me too far ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know just what you mean Sarah ! I have realized it is only God who can give us godly responses when we just can't :-)

    ReplyDelete