Me !

I am not the same today as I was yesterday, neither am I, what I will be tomorrow. I am being moulded in the Potter's hands. He's still working on me to make me all I ought to be !

Monday, October 24, 2011

Making of a Merry Marriage


We spend a big chunk of our life studying, preparing for a career. Sad to say though, we hardly prepare for marriage! And if we did prepare, do we make a conscious effort to continually 'Learn' about being a better spouse?

Lloyd and myself enjoy attending marriage seminars/retreats. Unfortunately, nothing of that sort exists in the Christian community here in Muscat, Oman. Hence, we look forward to our vacation in India, for such events. And if there are no events then, we take two days to be by ourselves at Cornerstone (Scripture Union campsite) in Mahabalipuram. It is a kind of yearly ritual for us.

Cornerstone brings me to Rod and Ruthie Gilbert, the reason for this post! When I first heard of them, I had reservations on how they could relate to an Indian context of marriage. Having lived a large part of their lives in India, and finally having heard them in person, I admit they relate very well indeed. Rod and Ruthie have co-authored a wonderful book - 'Marriage Masala'.
We had the awesome privilege of attending a one-day marriage seminar by them, here in Muscat. God is good! He sends Streams in the Desert.

As I 'Googled' Rod and Ruthie Gilbert, in order to add a hyperlink to this post, I came upon this wonderful blog post by Andy, from Oman - Andy in Oman. He has covered the seminar extremely well with pictures of the self-explanatory PowerPoint too. A picture is worth a thousand words. Go ahead, follow the link and read the post!

Key Learning’s -
Marriage is a Lifelong Learner's Licence

Learn to
- Love - Ask God to teach you, to communicate love to your spouse. 5 love languages by Gary Chapman.
- Lighten each other's Load - Know the loads that occupy your partner's brain space!
- Look at each other -Gaze into each other’s eyes daily for at least 10 seconds - like when you first got married :-)

Model for Marriage - Christ !
Men - Ephesians 5 v 25
Love your wife as Christ loved the Church. Christ loved the church with sacrificial love and adorned her with unmerited favour - Grace. Love my wife the same way!

Women - Ephesians 5 v 22
Submit to your husband as to the Lord. How would I treat Jesus? Treat my husband in the same manner!

The Umbrella explanation for Submission.
For some 'Submission' is a bitter pill. God bestows a woman, freedom in submission. While the husband bears the headship responsibility before God, the wife is freed to serve alongside her husband.
Biblical Submission has nothing to do with being a Slave; rather it is synonymous to ‘Service with a smile'.

6 comments:

  1. Hi, there!
    Thanks for the mention.
    WONDERFUL blog you've got going on here!
    Keep it up & God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post.. And yes marriage is not easy... But then I recently understood and important point - a servant is actually a master in disguise...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah said it wonderfully! I am going to take my time and read through each thing you've got here. I have been with my sweet hubby almost 29 years now, and I love to find ways to tweak my relationship with him, it is the same with G-d...do we ever stop learning how to please Him?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Andy-you're welcome! thanks for the comments.You're an accomplished blogger ! I look forward to your valuable inputs on better blogging !
    @Sarah-Thank you.Your statement has really got me thinking!
    @Kelly-I must say you are a veteran at marriage but young at heart !A teachable spirit is precious to God.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have spent some good times at Cornerstone! Knew Rod and Ruthie as a kid, but have lost touch now. They are special people. As are you.....

    ReplyDelete