Me !

I am not the same today as I was yesterday, neither am I, what I will be tomorrow. I am being moulded in the Potter's hands. He's still working on me to make me all I ought to be !

Monday, September 19, 2011

Choices..

On this particular Friday in June, I was all worked up as the clock ticked by. I dashed around, trying to make it to church on time. Morning devotions , breakfast preparations, dishes to be cleared, clothes to be ironed on went umpteen chores. Last minute additions - drop grandmom home, phone calls etc..
Rushing, pushing through conversations and to-do's, we are finally driving to church. I am frantically praying that the clock would not tick faster than our wheels and yet we are 10 minutes late and ofcourse, no parking available. Blazing sun, breathing heat waves on us, I almost drag the 3 yr old toward the church. Quick smile at the ushers as we hurry to vacant seats. The Singing has already begun. I bow my head for a quick prayer but find it hard to quieten myself. My mind is still running wildly though my body is seated. I am glad I dont have to work myself into a sweating frenzy to worship, yet I am trying desperately to change gears from 'Mad at being late' to 'Lord I love you' mode.
I am quickly reminded of 2 'Reaction' Choices when late-
Choice 1 - React like a Fire breathing dragon ! Get everyone moving with Fury and fumes, even the vehicle !!
or
Choice 2 - React in loving kindness. Let everyone soak into an attitude of gratitude.Worship all the way !
Needless to say, my Worship was transformed into confession.

I had a chance at 'Choice 2' last week. We were ready for church and Palani our weekly help wondered aloud whether we could drop him at his camp.That would mean a total of 10 minutes to return to the route. In short, we would be late by 10 minutes if everything else went well. Realizing a hesitation in our reply, he suggested that it would be better to drop him near the flyover from where he could walk (a solid 20 minute walk in the blazing desert sun- 45 degrees C).
In a flash the Parable of the Good Samaritan enacted itself before my mind. I found myself in Priestly robes scurrying along, leaving behind a needy man crying for help. I found myself muttering,"Worship is priority! I don't have time to get dirty.Somebody is bound to stop! That somebody is not me!I have never broken my impeccable 'punctual' record. For donkey years I have stood at the same spot to worship. For God's sake ! being late means forfeiting my geographical position of my worship!"
In a flash, I am back to 2011
Just as quickly , there arose a question- What would Palani understand better - A legalistic God who would be displeased at a late comer or A loving God whose children reach out in love ?
Needless to say,we chose the route of the Good Samaritan- showed the love of Christ by caring enough to drop him home.We reached 10 minutes late but no change of gear was needed this time.We were in Gods presence all along.

These lessons are not easy all the time.And though I stumble more often than not, I am learning with Gods help to walk in his love.
P.S. Being late to church is not meant to be a custom or tradition.

2 comments:

  1. Truly insightful post! And these are the choices that I seem to face everyday - yeah.. i know call it bad time-management or a little lazy to wake up 30 minutes earlier everyday! Sadly I think most of the time I choose option 1 .... anyway good to know that i have another choice as well.. so maybe tomorrow I'll make the right choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sarah.. Yes, We CAN do all things through Christ who strengthens us :-)

    ReplyDelete